Tuesday, February 14, 2006

2006 Boating Season Has Started!

...and I have yet to put my boat in the water!

Sigh...I was still recovering from a nasty cold on New Year's so rather than potentially suffer a relapse by racing in the first Frostbite Series event I chose instead to put on my winter parka and take photos of the other folks as they circled Fox Island, WA. The weather for the race was a bit blustery on the south side of the island, with logs and other flotsam and jetsam creating a rather interesting obstacle course for the competitors.

The weather was generally pretty nice, though the last person in did have to contend with a bit of rain and wind.


The second race, which was planned to start in Gig Harbor, WA, head out to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and return happened to be scheduled on a day when 60 mile an hour winds were forecast. It didn't help that once again I was getting over a cold (thanks, kids!) and didn't feel fully up to par. The winds arrived a little early, cutting power lines to my neighborhood early in the morning. With my alarm clock thus disabled I managed to sleep in until shortly before the race was scheduled to start. Oh, well!

From the reports of the brave souls who did attend it appears the headlands helped quite a bit to reduce the wave action. They cut the race short, too, so as to not have to contend with the turbulent conditions in the Narrows.

Coming up this Sunday is the first official Sound Rowers race of the year: La Conner. The weather forecast is for rather chilly conditions (30's to low 40's, with possible showers or snow), unlike last week where we had sunny skies and temperatures in the low 50's to low 60's four days in a row.

Maybe I'll check a bit further into getting a drysuit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home