Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Second Stabilizer Cleanup

Tonight I spent an hour and a half with the belt sander carefully cleaning up the excess resin on the four surfaces of the second stabilizer.

First, I had to remove the shrink wrap plastic, which turned out to be somewhat more difficult than expected. Why? Some of the resin had solidified around folds in the plastic and managed to hold it in place. Also, at one end where I had to pinch the sides together and have them rest on the flat top panel, the plastic managed to get pinched between the side and the top piece.

The plastic was strong enough that I could gently pull it out, but of course the plastic prevented the resin from securing that section of the two pieces together.

Anyway, after spending some quality time with the belt sander making everything flush and smooth, I mixed up a tiny portion of resin and used it to fill the gaps.

I also weighed the first stabilizer on a wife-approved food scale. It was 4 pounds, 0.5 ounces. This is before adding the external layer of glass or glass tape and resin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home