Sunday, May 20, 2012

Jetty Island Race

In April I attended the Sound Rowers Jetty Island race in Everett, WA. The weather was relatively balmy, the sun was out, and there was not quite the wind that had been forecast for the day.

I did my usual thing of pedaling and taking photos during the race, and getting quite a good workout in the process.

The turning is still nowhere near where I would like it to be. I guess I'm spoiled by the Escapade and Cadence with their rudder-directed prop wash, but turning around buoys as is common in these races means I have to take it wide - losing time in the process. I came in 14th of all the single person boats. It might have been 13th, but I got too close to shore at the north end of the island and the prop was hitting the bottom. It took maybe 20 or 30 seconds before I could get to adequately deep water, by which time a guy on a surfski caught and passed me. I am pretty sure the V15-6m cruise speed is faster than the Cadence. I would guess it to be about 0.5 mph faster or so for the same level of effort.

In 2009 while pedaling a Cadence I finished with a time somewhat slower (54 minutes vs. 45 minutes). That year I managed to lose the rudder on some rocks at the north end of the island and had to use a canoe paddle to keep on course. This caused me to slow down a fair amount as steering is not very effective when done from the middle of the boat. Still, I think I am a little fitter, so far as pedaling is concerned, than I was back in 2009. My every other day exercise for the past couple of years of upright and recumbent cycle exercise is a closer match than running up hills.
 
In addition, I noticed that right full rudder on the V15 tends to aerate the propeller. Left full rudder does not seem to have the same effect.

Here are a couple of links to videos from the race last Saturday. The person who took these videos was not an experienced videographer so there are not as many close-ups as would have been preferred. Still, the camera was mounted on a tripod so the images are pretty stable.

Leaving the dock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dlCe2m_Bp0&feature=youtube_gdata

cruise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uGCtH5TNo0&feature=youtube_gdata

Race start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td5FOAUuk_E&feature=youtube_gdata

Lastly, here is the finish line video. Roughly half way through is where I cross the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMEZFycXD4Y&feature=youtube_gdata

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home